Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sad To Leave An Awesome Church

Kris and I have been so fortunate to be a part of a wonderful church for several years -- in fact it's where we met!  I began attending Orchard Hill Church with my family when I was 5 years old, began serving in Children's Ministry at the age of 12, and began serving with the Middle School ministry when I was 17.  I became part of the Student Ministry Staff 3 1/2 years ago.  Leaving my position there feels like an end of an era, as I do not see myself working at the church again when we return but going into teaching.  That being said, I remain confident that teaching at MeySen and living in Japan as we share our faith with the people there is what God wants for us.  


It's hard to leave behind the kids and my small group girls -- especially when the other female middle school ministry staff member resigned the same week that I finished working at Orchard Hill.  I'm sad to leave under that circumstance, and part of me wishes that I could stay and care for the girls until someone else is hired.  But I know God will use this situation for his good.  That volunteers -- high school Collide leaders and adult small group leaders -- will step up and play significant roles in the girls' lives.  And I truly believe that God has someone in mind to take over the female middle school staff position who will be absolutely amazing.


Me and one of my awesome 8th grade ladies


The whole church has been very supportive of our moving to Japan.  The senior pastor called us on stage and had the congregation pray for us.  The staff has been very supportive and excited for us.  Even students and their families, while sad that I will no longer be on staff and part of the student ministry program, are excited about how God is using us next.  We were also given a very generous financial gift from the Eleos Ministry, a ministry designed to meet the needs of people in Haiti, the Pittsburgh community, and in the local and church community, to help us cover the cost of moving and plane tickets.


What a tremendous blessing it is to know that while we are in Japan, we will have the prayers and love of our large, wonderful church family supporting us.  How cool to know that we have such a large support system behind us, encouraging us to fulfill the call of God in our life!


Me and my absolute favorite person to work with at OHC!

1 comment:

  1. You're my favorite too. Especially when we take pictures and I'm wearing heels that make me tower over you. :)

    ReplyDelete